Since I love words and quotes so much I thought I would combine the two today for The Broke and the Bookish Top Ten Tues.: Favorite Words. Here’s my choices which may be subject to change on any given day but for today these are the words that came immediately to my mind that I love, especially the way they sound!
1. Ability ~ " 'I never cheat at cards.' It was true, if one ignored his uncanny ability to keep track of every card in a deck. Some people didn't."
p 10 "A Hellion in Her Bed" by Sabrina Jeffries (ARC) Found in Teaser Tues. at In the Hammock blog.
2. Ludicrous ~ “I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.”
3. Intensity ~“Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity such as I cannot derive from other realms.”
4. Lovely~I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.
~Ogden Nash, "Song of the Open Road," 1933
5. Influence~The way you think, the way you behave, the way you eat, can influence your life by 30 to 50 years. Most people believe that aging is universal but there are biological organisms that never age.
6. Fantastic~“Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do.”
7. Truth~"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
- Chapter 1, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
8. Imagination~"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment."
- Chapter 6, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
9. Persuasion~“Character may almost be called the most effective means of persuasion.”
10. Deceive~"It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us."
- Chapter 24, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Now, it's your turn - think about your favorite words and share them with me!
Posted by Julie Tuesday, September 7, 2010