j-flamingo reflections

Inspired by the grace and beauty of the flamingo, my life reflected by my love of reading, writing and creating.

My first R.I.P. IV Reading Challenge


I've decided to sign up, as a first timer, for the R.eadersI.mbibing.P.eril IV reading challenge hosted by Carl V. It's a two month challenge running through Sept 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2009, just in time for Halloween. Ooooo-oooo. Hear that? Can you feel it? I can feel it in the air now as it brings the presence of fall which is basically non-existent in TX so we have to really live it up with the holidays. I'm going to sign up for Peril the Third. I know, I know that it isn't much of a risk because I'll only be commiting myself to reading just One book of any length in any of these categories:

Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, Dark Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Supernatural


It's sounds so intriguing that I just can't help it. Plus, the button exemplifies the mysterious beauty that I find so appealing in Art. Kudos to the sponsored artist, Jennifer Gordon. Love your hauntingly beautiful style! I'm feeling at my wit's end a little bit with back to school going on's, not only for my four school children but for my husband who is dying to be a dentist now. I'm taking care of all of those end of the rope things in our lives at the present, in my humble reality, I'm hoping this challenge will keep me from losing my head. So, as I'm hunting for peace in my life, I'm joining in on the fun! Plus, looking forward, as always, to reading some of my titles on my TBR list that I think may fit these categories.

Here's my first choice I'd like to start with if I can find a copy of it somewhere:

We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson

Here's my reading pool full of thrilling choices:

The Witches of Worm
by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer by Harold Schechter
Nevermore
by Harold Schechter
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
The Woman in White
by Wilkie Collins
The City of Falling Angels
by John Berendt
The Spider and the Fly
by Mary Howitt, Tony DiTerlizzi

Now, that should keep my heart-racing! I'm sure I won't get to all of these now but they'll be in my TBR pool for future reference and looking forward to next year.

I'd like to give a sincere thanks to Amanda for encouraging me to sign up for R.I.P IV in tweets!





5 comments:

Carl V. Anderson August 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

I am so glad that you decided to join us, I love seeing new people join in. You need not feel bad at all about doing Peril the Third. The one book option is intended exactly for folks to be able to be a part of all the festivities without adding the burden of some enormous reading expectations.

And yes, isn't Jennifer Gordon's art the best??!?!

Thanks so much for coming along. I hope you enjoy it.

Amanda August 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Yay! I'm so glad you signed up! You know, I'd never even seen that Shirley Jackson book until today when I was looking through peoples' lists, and it looks SO GOOD! I want to read it now! I can also wholeheartedly recommend The Witches of Worm, which is short, easy to read, and perfect for this challenge!

And btw, there are about 12 copies of that Shirley Jackson book in the library system. I'm thinking we might read it in 2011 in our classics book club if I remember!

margaret August 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

I've joined too!!!!! Thanks to you and Amanda!! YEAH!! I'm so excited!!!

Julie August 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

Thanks so much for your kind comments and encouragement everyone! I feel happy to be amongst such a great company of readers!

Carl V. - Thanks for having an option like Peril the Third for someone like me. I keep getting distracted by so many great books and book clubs so I keep playing catch-up on some of my other challenges. I'm new to this and I'll learn to pace myself as I go along.

Amanda - I always appreciate and learn from what you have to say. I'm glad to hear that "The Witches of Worm" will be a great read. So cool that Shirley Jackson's book is at the library. I think it does look really GOOD too! Can't wait! I'll have to get it on hold. I'll try to remind you about it in 2011 for the book club.

Margo - I'm so happy you joined too. I'm going to hop over to look at your book list. It's going to be fun - YEAH!

Pedro Garcia Millan August 26, 2009 at 11:38 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About this blog

Welcome Readers~to my blog! A tiny extension of myself and my life. Here, I'll share this journey through my top passions in my life - reading, writing, and creating. You can expect to read poetry, view my papercrafts and read design related posts. Every once in a while, I hope you'll grasp an honest feel of my heart. If you haven't noticed, I love flamingos! I think they are beautiful birds. *Thanks for your attention.*

She is pure Alice in Wonderland, and her appearance and demeanor are a nicely judged mix of the Red Queen and a flamingo.
~Truman Capote

welcome vistors

About my original stories & poetry: Please be courteous.

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Protection Tool

Look who did my page

Julie Hatch Carter's Facebook profile

my little tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    I've read

    Widget_logo

    My Bookshelf - What I'm currently reading

    Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

    "Advertising isn't a science. It's persuasion. And persuasion is an art." ~William Bernbach

    Followers

    About Me

    My photo
    I love living my life through reading books, creating beautiful things to make people happy, and sharing snipits of the world as I see it through writing, blogging or designing.

    Labels